2013 has been a year of internet for India and that internet reached a turning point in the country this year. The growth in internet penetration in the country has led to a substantial growth of other digital industries such as e-commerce, digital advertising and so on. However, for now let’s not talk much! Instead have a look at a few numbers related with digital marketing in India and see how the latest trends in web usage , mobile and search, social networking, shopping and online video are shaping the Indian digital marketplace and what it holds for the years to come.
India is now the world’s third largest internet population
- By adding 17.6 million users in 2013 and exhibiting a year-over-year increase of 31%, India becomes to be the world’s third largest internet population leaving behind Japan.
- While in 2012, Mobile Internet grew 111 per cent, during 2013 the growth was 63 per cent.
- India registered a YoY of 28 per cent in 2012 and a YoY growth of 39 per cent in 2013 as far as the number of internet users is concerned.
Growth of Digital commerce over years
- While in December 2007, the digital commerce market stood at Rs. 8,146 crore, by December 2012 it was worth Rs. 47,349 crore.
- By December 2013, digital commerce in India grew to a whopping Rs. 62,967 crore.
- The segment witnessed 35 per cent growth between December 2011 and December 2012 while it grew by 33 per cent between December 2012 and December 2013.
Online retail is on the rise
- 60% of web users in India visit online retail sites
- Of the total online market products, consumer durables account for 34 per cent, apparel and accessories 30 per cent, books 15 per cent, beauty and personal care 10 per cent, and home and furnishing 6 per cent. Over 50 per cent of sales in these product categories take place in non-metro cities.
Majority of screen time still captured by Social media
- 86% Indian web users visit a social networking site
- 214 minutes are spent on Facebook by an avaerage user
- There is 28% increase in facebook visitors in the last 12 months
- 59,642,000 users visited facebook on thier Pc’s
- Facebook continues to be the number one social network and LinkedIn as number two while Pinterest and Tumblr are the fastest growing networks.
Entertainment and online video continues to grow
- 74% of internet users in India visited an entertainment site
- 31.5 million viewers watched videos on YouTube making it the number one destination for videos
- 27% increase in the India online video Audience over a year
- 54,025,000 people watched an online video on their Pc’s
[useful_banner_manager banners=15 count=1]
Hopefully, I need not tell you why digital marketing is on rise in India as the numbers were more than enough to do so.
Learn from real practitioners not just trainers.