Last updated on July 18th, 2014 at 12:23 pm
“This is case study about an ice cream business Ben & Jerry’s as to how they used twitter to crowdsource a new flavor.”
About Ben & Jerry’s
• Used promoted trend to drive campaign awareness
• Used promoted tweets targeting specific interests, keywords and search
• Trialed TV conversation targeting and carried out TV ad campaign featuring the #MyBenandJerrys hashtag and promoted Tweets to users who engaged with specific shows to take suggestions about new flavors from the audiences.
• The one lucky winner of the competition received their own private supply of this unique flavor delivered direct to their door.
• As the key action, a hashtag –‘#MyBenandJerrys ‘was created to give consumers a sense of ownership.
• Launched its campaign with a content plan created in partnership with media agency @mindshare_uk
• As part of its bid to spark conversation, @benandjerrysUK targeted a number of celebrity Tweeters
• Online listening tools were used by @mindshare_uk to understand the patterns of conversation surrounding popular TV shows in order to inform its content strategy.
• Rewarded fans by creating personalized infographics of their suggestions when they began to tweet their desired #MyBenandJerrys concoctions
• @benandjerrysUK engaged with user Tweets by favouriting, retweeting and replying to encourage two-way conversation and demonstrate responsiveness after the TV ads were aired
• 6.8K additional followers
• 15.2% peak Promoted Tweet engagement rate
• 61% increase in mentions when TV was combined with Twitter
• 19.4% peak Promoted trend engagement rate
As #MyBenandJerrys not only had the benefit of being snappy, but also included the brand name and gave consumers a sense of ownership and involvement.• The content
@benandjerrysUK worked closely with the social content creation team at @mindshare_uk for #MyBenandJerrys campaign in order to set up a raft of rich and shareable content ideas to share with ice cream fans. The best performing Tweets in the campaign were retweeted and favourited hundreds of times.
Words by Steph Miles, Design & Digital Creation Manager, Ben & Jerry’s Europe
“The @benandjerrysUK brand is really about getting out there and meeting consumers. You can’t meet them all face to face, so Twitter is great for allowing @benandjerrysUK to connect and give consumers a connection. It allows us to have a dialogue with @benandjerrysUK ice cream fans.”
Learn from real practitioners not just trainers.