As we are approaching the end of the year 2016, Facebook adds a much awaited new feature, group video chat for Messenger app.
Messenger already has the ability of one-on-one video chats and group audio calls. And, the ever-expanding platform adds the most requested feature with 245 million users making video calls on the platform every month.
The Product Manager of Messenger, Stephane Taine shared in a blog post, “This is the time of year to tell our friends and family how much we care about them and send best wishes for the year ahead. We’re delighted to bring you the ability to chat face-to-face with those who matter to you most, wherever they are.”
Users can also tell a funny story to their friends and family by wearing 3D masks, only available for iOS devices. 3D masks will soon be introduced for Android users too.
The new addition is extremely easy to use. It lets you see 6 people at a time and even if your group is a bit larger then also the social network got your back, as 50 friends can join in and can either choose to listen in and join via voice or be on camera. If, there are more than 6 people participating in a group video call then just the dominant speaker will be shown to all the participants.
How to Get Started?
- You need to have the latest version of Messenger.
- Either create a new group or go the existing group chat.
- Tap on the ‘video icon’ present on the upper right of the screen.
- You’ll enter the video chat.
- All the group members will get the notification.
- Any participant in the group can join the chat with just one tap.
- For an extra nudge, directly ring few people or the complete group.
The feature has been rolled out globally on Monday, December 19, 2016 for Android and iOS devices and for the desktop version of Messenger.