Since its launch 12 years back, YouTube has progressed significantly and now, the brand is getting its biggest visual makeover ever. YouTube has a new design and a new logo to go with it.
The brand’s iconic logo is being refreshed, with the focus moving far from the word “Tube” onto the recognizable play button for the first time.
The updated logo comprises of the YouTube icon, a red tube with a white screen and a red play button, followed by the YouTube word mark in black. The service is getting a new typeface, color scheme, and a bunch of major changes to the look, feel, and usefulness of its desktop and mobile application.
Announcing the update through its official blog post, YouTube said that, “Designed for our multi-screen world, the updated Logo combines a cleaned up version of the YouTube wordmark and Icon, creating a more flexible design that works better across a variety of devices, even on the tiniest screens.”
YouTube Mobile App has also gotten a bunch of new features:
- Clean new design: The header made white, the navigation tabs moved to the bottom of the app, new Library and Account tabs added.
- Videos that move with you: In the coming months, the brand will experiment with a feature that lets viewers jump between videos with a simple swipe of their hands: just swipe left to watch a previous video or swipe right to watch the next one.
- Watch at your own pace: Enjoy videos at whatever speed you prefer.
- Adapt to any video, beautifully: Soon, the YouTube player will seamlessly change shape to match the video format viewers are watching, such as vertical, square or horizontal.
- Browse and discover while you watch: A feature that lets you view a row of suggested videos while you’re watching in full screen. It is also working on transforming the area below the player so users can browse videos in totally new ways.
Beyond the changes brought to its app, You Tube’s new desktop design has also been rolled out to users around the globe starting Aug 29, 2017.