On March 8, 2017, Facebook launched Facebook 360, a dedicated app for Virtual Reality (VR).
For now, the app is available for Samsung’s Oculus-powered Gear VR headset only.
The users can access 360 photos and videos from their friends, pages, users’ saved lists and followed users, etc.
How to download the application for Gear VR?
- Open the Oculus app on a Gear VR-compatible Samsung device
- Enter ‘Facebook 360’ in the search box
- You can also visit the Oculus site for getting started
The application is launched with four feeds that are mentioned below.
- Explore: Find out popular and interesting 360 content from organizations, individual creators and media companies
- Saved: Discover all the 360 content that you have saved from your News Feed anytime
- Following: Experience all the 360 content posted on Facebook, Pages and other people you follow
- Timeline: Revisit your timeline memories, your own 360 photo and video uploads
In this application, you can even share and react to all the 360 photos and videos. And, rest of the social features will be rolling out soon.
Product Director, Brent Ayrey and Software Engineer, Christopher Wong announced in a Newsroom post, “Today, we’re making 360 photos and videos even more immersive and easier to discover with the launch of the Facebook 360 app for Samsung Gear VR, powered by Oculus. The app is an exciting new way to explore Facebook 360 photos and videos.”
Learn from real practitioners not just trainers.