Last updated on October 8th, 2016 at 03:07 pm
1) The first written records of the ancient Olympic Games date to 776 B.C. in ancient Greece.
2) The first summer games held under the sponsorships of the IOC was hosted in the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens in 1896.
3) The Games in 1896 brought together 14 nations and 241 athletes who competed in 43 events.
4) Host Greece won the most medals (47) at the first Olympic Summer Games in 1896.
5) The first Winter Olympic Games were held in Chamonix, France in 1924.
6) Norway has won the most medals (263) at the Winter Games.
7) The five Olympic rings represent the five major regions of the world – Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe and Oceana, and every national flag in the world includes one of the five colors, which are (from left to right) blue, yellow, black, green, and red.
8) Three continents – Africa, South America, and Antarctica – have never hosted an Olympics.
9) Number of participating countries in the Summer Olympics: 204
10) Number of sports at the Summer Olympic Games: 35
Olympic Rio 2016 Facts
11) Rio 2016 will be the first time in Olympic history that a South American country has hosted the Games. The city won its bid in 2009, beating out Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.
12) Around 10,500 athletes from 206 countries are expected to take part in 17 days of the Olympiad, competing across 306 events.
13) Golf will return to the Olympics after a 112-year absence.
14) The mascot for 2016 is “Vinicius,” a yellow and blue creature representing Brazilian wildlife.
15) The 2016 Olympic will costs roughly 11.5 billion.
TV & Sponsorships
16) Broadcast revenue from the Summer Olympic Games: $2,569 Mn
17) Number of countries and territories broadcasting the Olympic Winter Games: 220
18) Olympic Games revenue generated through TOP sponsorships: $950 Mn