Last updated on November 25th, 2016 at 06:44 pm
by- Kunal Choudhary, Digital marketing entrepreneur, Public speaker and trainer at DSIM
Want to start an e-commerce website? Here are 10 important aspects that you need to look into.
1. Is your product sell-able on internet?
2. Can you trust your sourcing partner?
3. What is the competition level for your niche?
4. How would you do marketing for your website?
5. What kind of shopping cart are you using?
6. What is the objective behind starting an online business?
7. What if your plan fails? Do you have a plan-B and plan-C?
8. How do you plan to do deliver products?
9. It is about customers. Can you fulfill their requirement?
10. Will you make purchase from your own website?
- 1) Is your product sell-able on internet?
- 2) Can you trust your sourcing partner?
- 3) What is the competition level for your niche?
- 4) What is your Internet Marketing plan?
- 5) What kind of shopping cart you are using?
- 6) What is the objective behind running an online store?
- 7) What if your plan fails? Do you have a plan B or plan C?
- 8) How do you plan to do the delivery?
- 9) It is about customers. Can you fulfill their requirement?
- 10) Have you made a purchase from your own website?
- Watch DSIM Trainees Celebrating Last Day of Batch
1) Is your product sell-able on internet?
2) Can you trust your sourcing partner?
3) What is the competition level for your niche?
Not everyone bothers to check the competition level for the type of products that they want to sell online. People are emotional when it comes to sell online. Chances of coming 1st in a race are more when 2 or 3 people are competing in a single race but not everyone can win a marathon. To check the level of competition on your niche (product) is one of the first step that marketers must take.
4) What is your Internet Marketing plan?
If you are selling on internet then you must do marketing on internet. One cannot hope success in selling online by advertising on road side or in shopping malls. A full proof internet marketing plan is required with a proper mix of offline marketing. Still 90% of the marketing budgets must be allocated to internet marketing depending on the type of product you wish to sell. Many big ecommerce companies have done blunders of going for a kill for traditional marketing methods and not keeping internet marketing their priority. Also, when it comes to creating a internet marketing plan one needs a proper online marketing mix. For instance if you only adopt search engine optimization( SEO) in your online marketing strategy then it may take good 6 months before your website start getting traffic from search engines like Google, yahoo and bing to name few. Not many people understand online marketing needs and its technique. To have a proper understanding of how internet marketing works they can go for internet marketing training program.
5) What kind of shopping cart you are using?
6) What is the objective behind running an online store?
7) What if your plan fails? Do you have a plan B or plan C?
Not every online business (read ecommerce) becomes a success story. It takes a lot to just start and run an ecommerce business. Driving profit is even tougher. Most of the ecommerce business starts up with a plan. But the problem arises when they do not have a plan B or plan C if required. There are 33% chances that your original plan (Plan A) will succeed without any changes and 50% chance that it will succeed, though it also depends on the product and your online marketing strategy. Hence, it is advisable and highly necessary that you at least have a plan B ready if plan A does not succeed.
8) How do you plan to do the delivery?
9) It is about customers. Can you fulfill their requirement?
Basics are always basics, but it matters a lot in deciding the future of any business entity. A happy and satisfied customer will not only come back to your website but will also bring 10 others to your website which will further decrease your acquisition cost. Just aim to satisfy your customers and rest everything will take care of itself.
10) Have you made a purchase from your own website?
Keep yourself in your customer’s shoes and think from their level. Would have you made a purchase from your own website? If the answer is yes then you are a winner. But if you are in doubt then it is time for improvement. Consumers think at least 5 times before they make a purchase online. Security is one of the biggest factor in the decision making process. Then there are price, free shipping, discount, reviews of the website and products to name few.
Hope these points will benefit you.